Thursday 10 December 2015

Christmas Baking: Mince Pies and Jam Tarts.

Wow, I can't believe how fast the countdown to Christmas is going. I feel like I am up to my eyeballs in University work and don't feel like I can really enjoy it until my assignments are done. They're not actually due in until the beginning of January, however I would like to get them done before Christmas so I can enjoy the day itself and then prepare my exams properly without having to worry about finishing an essay! However, so far this is not going to plan, but positive thinking and all that!

To try and get myself in the mood for Christmas and to have a proper break from reading a book or a computer screen I decided to do a spot of Christmas baking. I love baking all year round but I believe that Christmas time is the perfect time to do a spot of baking! So off I popped to the shops to get some ingredients! 

I wanted it to be fairly simple and not complicate things so literally all you need for this recipe is 4 ingredients. I don't like mince pies myself so I thought I would do an alternative version for people like me! 

Ingredients
Short crust pastry
Mince pie filling
Strawberry Jam
1 egg

Step 1. Pre-heat the over to 175oC.
Step 2. Roll out your pre-made pastry on a clean, dry work surface. Using a cookie cutter, cut out the desired size and shape for the bottom of your mince pie/jam tart. I used a circular, flutter edge one. Place these one by one into your muffin/cupcake tray. 
Step 3. Gently stab, with a fork, your pastry in the middle of the circles. Once you have done this, place a spoonful of your desired filling into the middle. 
Step 4. With the remaining pastry, cut out the tops for your mince pies/tarts using your desired shape. I used Christmas trees as I don't have a star cutter which is what I intended to use. Once you have done this, place on top of the filling.
Step 5. Crack an egg into a small bowl/cup and whisk. Brush this over the pastry.
Step 6. Place your mince pies/jam tarts into the over for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

I think these are served best with a cup of tea for an afternoon snack!


1 comment:

  1. Hey there! Your pies look super cute! I read your comment over at www.fashion-train.co.uk where you said sometimes you feel like nobody reads your blog. We are out there, so just keep at it, if you love it!
    If you keep writing, your content will turn up in searches and people will get here :) I only just started my blog as well, so I feel the same way sometimes.
    If you want to check it out, here's the link: www.t-thelife.blogspot.com
    If you need any help with your blog, I'd be glad to help you! Also, I'd love to know what people think about my blog, so if you want, leave a comment!
    Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete